Today’s Scripture Reading: Daniel 6:1-28; Daniel 9:1-27; 2 Chronicles 36:22-23; Ezra 1:1-11; 1 Chronicles 3:17-19a
I was doing a Google© search on the word “influence” and right below the word influence was the word “influenza”.
I had to know more about these two words that have the same root yet stir up a completely different reaction—one, very good and one, very bad (I have some bad flu memories!).
The word “Influence” comes from the Latin word, “influere” which means “to flow into”. And the word “Influenza” originally used in Italy, from the Medieval Latin word influentia, which meant influence of the stars.
So could we say that if a person of influence infects those in whom they “flow into” with their attitudes, values, and beliefs—they have infectious influence—influence that goes viral?
Daniel had this infectious influence. When we read the story about Daniel in the lion’s den, we say,”YES, I will dare to be a Daniel!” But, are we willing to do what Daniel did?
He had a great work ethic- A set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence (answers.com)
- Capable (6:3)
- Faithful (6:4)
- Always responsible (6:4)
- Completely Trustworthy (6:4)
- Respectful to those in authority (6:21-22)
He practiced spiritual discipline- A habit or regular pattern in your life that repeatedly brings you back to God and opens you up to what God is saying to you.(spirithome.com)
- Consistent Prayer Life (6:10)
- Purposed Not to defile himself (1:8)
- Study the Word of God (9:2)
- Fasting (9:3)
He trusted God with the areas that weren’t in his control
- God gave Daniel great abilities (6:3)
- God rescued him from an impossible situation (6:21)
Daniel woke up every day and had a choice:
- Infect/influence others
- Be infected/influenced by others
What was the result of Daniel’s daily choice to influence others?
King Darius the Mede sent a message to the people of every race and nations and language throughout the world (6:25-28):
Peace and prosperity to you! I decree that everyone throughout my kingdom should tremble with fear before the God of Daniel.
- For he is the living God and he will endure forever
- His kingdom will never be destroyed
- His rule will never end
- He rescues and saves his people
- He performs miraculous signs and wonders in the heavens and on earth.
- He has rescued Daniel from the power of the lions.
You and I can be a person of infectious influence, just like Daniel if we do these three things:
- Display a consistently strong work ethic
- Live a disciplined spiritual life
- Trust God through the hard times and impossible situations
Heavenly Father, help us to live a life that has infectious influence for Your Kingdom. Anoint us with the abilities to accomplish the plans you have for our lives. Help us to see our hard times and impossible situations as opportunities to trust You in a way that will cause others to want to know You and serve You. Jesus help us to have the determination to live a life of integrity and spiritual discipline for Your Glory!
In Jesus’ Name. Amen and Amen!
© 2012 Dianne Guthmuller
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Ezra 2:1 through Ezra 4:5; 1 Chronicles 3:19b-24