Today’s Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 21:1-9, 2 Chronicles 33:1-9, 2 Kings 21:10-17, 2 Chronicles 33:10-19, 2 Kings 21:18, 2 Chronicles 33:20, 2 Kings 21:19-26, 2 Chronicles 33:21-25, 2 Kings 22:1-2, 2 Chronicles 34:1-7, Jeremiah 1:1-2:22
Heavenly Father, the words “I can’t” have crossed my lips or my mind many times. Just like Jeremiah I always have a reason.
- I’m too busy
- I’m too young
- I’m too old
- I’m too tired
- I’m too stressed
- I’m too sick
- I’m too afraid
“O Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!”
The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!” Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said,
“Look, I have put my words in your mouth!
Today I appoint you to stand up
against nations and kingdoms.
Some you must uproot and tear down,
destroy and overthrow.
Others you must build up
Then the Lord said to me, “Look, Jeremiah! What do you see?”
And I replied, “I see a branch from an almond tree.”
And the Lord said, “That’s right, and it means that I am watching,and I will certainly carry out all my plans.” -Jeremiah 1:6-12
Lord, there are several lessons for me in this passage.
1. You hear all of my “I cant’s”
2. You don’t want me giving excuses (“Don’t say, ‘ I’m too young'”)
3. You have assignments for me (“You must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you”)
4. You don’t want me to fear what people say or think about me (“Don’t be afraid of people)
5. You will go with me and protect me ( “I will be with you and will protect you”)
6. You speak to me (If you spoke to Jeremiah You will speak to me, if I will listen)
7. You equip me to do what You call me to do (“I have put My words in your mouth)
8. You appoint me to carry out Your mission for my life (“Today I appoint you to stand up against nations and kingdoms”)
9. You are watching me and will get Your plans accomplished in my life (“I am watching and will certainly carry out all my plans”)
Lord, bring these nine things to my remembrance when I want to say, “I can’t.”
Jesus, I CAN do all things because of the strength You give me. — Philippians 4:13
Lord, accomplish Your plans in my life.
In Jesus Name. Amen and Amen!
©2014, Dianne Guthmuller
*Unless noted all scripture references are from the New Living Translation (NLT)
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 2:23-5:19