What’s your first thought when you hear the word discipline?
- A spanking as a kid
- Self-control or the lack thereof
How about extreme love?
Today’s Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11:1-12:29
Love = discipline
Discipline = love
…that’s what the Bible says.
God’s discipline proves His love for us.
For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one
he accepts as his child. –Hebrews 12:6
- God doesn’t give us everything we want, exactly when we want it, and allows hard things to come into our lives to make us strong
- Parents hold their children accountable to daily chores, respect for adults, and keeping their word
- Employers expect an honest day’s work for a day’s pay, which includes completing tasks on time with a high degree of excellence
- Humans push away from fleshly addictions (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, food, caffeine, T.V., Computers, etc) and implement healthy habits such as exercise, life-long learning, and helping others
…we are somehow loved by God, others, and ourselves?
What are your thoughts on the connection between love, discipline and a healthy, productive life?
Heavenly Father, the average person in today’s world doesn’t want to discipline themselves or others and they certainly don’t want to be disciplined by anyone, including You. Holy Spirit, show us the importance of loving and being loved through discipline. Help us to hold out for the greater good rather than settling for a mediocre life. Help us to follow your example Jesus. Lord, help us to accept Your discipline.
Click here to visit blog
©2011, Dianne Guthmuller
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Hebrews 13:1-25, 1 Peter 1:1-2:3